Ms. UTA campaign

Student candidates serve food to potential voters Wednesday on the University Center mall.

Early Monday on the University Center mall, potential student representatives for Ms. UTA rushed to influence students passing by to vote for them in campus elections.

Each candidate had one tactic in common: using food to draw in possible voters for her campaign.

One candidate was advertising senior Brittany Mayes.

“I really love this school, and I’m ready to see more involvement on campus,” Mayes said. “I really want people to think of it as their university that they can really enjoy and, you know, take pride in.”

Mayes’ stand featured a variety of food, snacks and candy that students could enjoy while passing by.

“I had donuts, granola bars for breakfast,” Mayes said. “And we switched over to lunch, and I gave away some cupcakes, some cookies, some popcorn, some candy. It's just a variety of things going on over there.”

Other students competing for the title of Ms. UTA were marketing junior Destiny Price and interdisciplinary studies junior Melisa Gonzales. Both also had a variety of food to give out at their respective vendors.

“I chose cotton candy because everyone loves cotton candy,” Price said. “So I got orange and blue cotton candy, keeping it school-spirit color.”

Gonzales, in comparison, had energy drinks, Snickers bars and nachos in her stand.

“One of my friends, his dad works for Mars,” Gonzales said. “And his dad was like, ‘You know what? I’ll donate all of this candy to you.’ I did it for Homecoming and it was pretty successful, and so I’m hoping it will be pretty successful for this campaign, too.”

Nursing freshmen Arielle Bentley said the food influenced her decision to vote.

“I didn’t even know some people were running,” Bentley said. “So with things like candy and soda, I was like, ‘Oh, that’s cool. I’ll vote for you.’ ”

The winners will be posted at 7 p.m. Tuesday in the University Center.

@dDUnn87

davidadunn@mavs.uta.edu

David Dunn is an aspiring filmmaker, critic, and analyst currently attending the University of Texas at Arlington, and writes for the newspaper, The Shorthorn.