blooms.jpg

Throughout the month of May, the Dallas Arboretum website will offer a virtual display of its gardens as well as gardening tips.

The Dallas Blooms floral festival brings spring to the Dallas Arboretum and Botanical Garden.

The festival is from Feb. 25 through April 9 and is the largest floral festival in the Southwest.

For its 33rd year running, the event goes back in time with a groovy new theme: Peace, Love and Flower Power.

Dallas Blooms display gardens will feature 500,000 spring flowers, said Terry Lendecker, advertising and promotions vice president. Spring flowers will include tulips, daffodils, hyacinths and more.

This year’s theme, Peace, Love and Flower Power, is incorporated throughout the festival, Lendecker said.

“This year, we are highlighting two vintage Volkswagen cars that we’ve made into topiaries,” Lendecker said.

Dallas Blooms will also hold various events that span the course of six weeks.

Some of the featured events at the festival include Mommy and Me Mondays, Tiny Tot Tuesdays and Arboretum After Hours on Wednesdays. Visitors who aren’t able to come during the day can come on Wednesdays when the Arboretum is open until 8 p.m., Lendecker said.

One ongoing tradition at Dallas Blooms is the Seated Tea event, Lendecker said. Visitors can make reservations to attend the event held in DeGoyler House, where high-end tea and a three-course meal will be served.

Each weekend, visitors can expect different events relating to the theme. These events will be held each weekend from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m., with live music playing throughout the garden from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.

Lendecker said some weekend events include The Ed Sullivan Show Celebrity Weekend and Vintage Garden of Games.

During last year’s Dallas Blooms, the Arboretum saw around 150,000 visitors, Lendecker said. This year, she said they are expecting to exceed that number.

The Arboretum provides a quiet place for people to walk through and see the gardens, photographers to capture images and families to come out for picnics, Lendecker said.

“You won’t find any place like it,” said Lendecker.

@madalyncoopUTA