Local artists compete for recording time in third Battle of the Bands (copy)

Construction management sophomore Lauren Barry-Smith, left, and Dallas resident Ashley Falgout of the band Verm & Loretta perform during Battle of the Bands on Feb. 9 in the University Center Palo Duro Lounge. The female duo took home the grand prize.

Battle of the Bands

EXCEL will host the fourth annual Battle of the Bands 4 p.m. Saturday at Brazos Park.

This is the first time the concert will be held at Brazos Park, which opened in August 2019. Last year, the event took place at the Palo Duro Lounge. Last year’s winners, Verm & Loretta, took home a gift card and recording time with UT Arlington Records and the Department of Music.

The event is free to the public, and fans of all ages are welcome to attend.

A peek behind the curtain of Monster Lagoon, the play that UTA is premiering Thursday (copy)

Rehearsal for the play Monster Lagoon takes place Feb. 11 in the Fine Arts Building. The play will show Feb. 13-16 at 2 p.m. on Stage 143 in the Fine Arts Building.

MavPlays: Monster Lagoon

Recommended for adult audiences, Monster Lagoon is the first play of the year in the MavPlays 2019-2020 season.

Written by Natalie Gaupp, assistant professor of instruction and playwright-in-residence, the play follows a house renovator who finds a sketchbook of drawings and eventually confronts her past trauma.

The play will premiere Thursday at 7:30 p.m., and showtimes will continue through Sunday. General admission tickets are $5.

Beyonce Ballet and Rosé: All the single ladies night!

Single and want to dance Valentine’s Day away? Arts Mission Oak Cliff is hosting Beyonce Ballet and Rosé: All the single ladies night. The dance workout helps single and committed dancers to show off their moves to the Grammy award winning artist.

Rosé and other treats will be provided for the event which encourages participants to avoid staying home on the romantic holiday. No dance training is required for the beginner level course. Beyonce Ballet has been such a success in the past that Tasia Munoz, Arts Mission Oak Cliff founder and creator of the event, wanted to celebrate it on Valentine’s Day with all the “single ladies.”

The event runs from 7:30 p.m. to 8:45 p.m. on Friday. Tickets will be sold online for $25 and $35 at the door.  

Romance the stars for Valentine's Day at Planetarium (copy)

The Valentine’s Day themed planetarium shows will be featured this weekend and is open to everyone, not just couples.

Romancing the Stars

Looking for Valentine's Day plans? The UTA Planetarium might have you covered.

The planetarium will host Romancing the Stars Thursday to Saturday from 7 to 8 p.m., which is expected to provide “breathtaking” views of our solar system. The planetarium features a 60-foot dome with over 150 seats, including accessibility for wheelchair patrons.

Admission is $6.

0PNZLl4w.jpeg

A team USA Eagles bull rider clings to a bull during the 2019 PBR Global Cup USA.

PBR Global Cup

The Professional Bull Riders bring their talents to AT&T Stadium for the Winstar World Casino Resort PBR Global Cup USA. Team USA will saddle up against teams Brazil, Canada, Mexico and Australia for the weekend’s top prize.

The event will take place Saturday at 6:45 p.m. and Sunday at 1:45 p.m.

This will be the first time the PBR Global Cup will host its event at the same venue for two consecutive years. Previously, the Global Cup was held in Canada and Australia.

Tickets for the event start at $15.

Puppies, paint parties and other events to do in the Metroplex this week Feb. 6-13

A view of Troy’s Patio shows people lounging in chairs Aug. 9, 2019, at Texas Live during an event celebrating the venue’s first anniversary. Texas Live will be hosting Graceland Ninjaz, “The King of Party Bands,” at the Texas Live Arena from 9:30 to 11:30 p.m. on Feb. 7.

PBR Global Cup After Party: Black Stone Cherry

The band Black Stone Cherry will take the stage for the PBR Global Cup After Party at 10 p.m. Saturday.

Known for their songs such as “Can’t You See” and “White Trash Millionaire,” the band is set to perform on stage at Texas Live after the Global Cup’s conclusion.

Tickets are free to the 21+ event, and tickets can be reserved online.

@JacobReyesDFW