If we were to have a reboot of one of the greatest superhero films made, The Amazing Spider-Man would be that movie. What exactly can be said about the film that will accurately do it justice? That it is exciting, suspenseful and displays visual effects that leave the old one in the dust? That the writing is just as acute and skilled as the direction is? That Andrew Garfield has perfect chemistry with Emma Stone? No. Instead, the film is best described in one word: amazing.

Taking place in an alternate reality, not related to the Sam Raimi trilogy, The Amazing Spider-Man follows the story of Peter Parker (Andrew Garfield), a  teenager struggling through high school. Living with his Aunt May (Sally Fields) and Uncle Ben (Martin Sheen), Peter peers deeper into his mysterious past when he discovers a briefcase belonging to his deceased father, Richard (Campbell Scott), in his basement. As he scrounges through the contents, all objects in the briefcase point to one company Richard was working for before his death — Oscorp. 

The rest of the story is on repeat from the first Spider-Man. The repeat, however, isn’t what we care about. The Amazing Spider-Man is done with a new style, energy and attitude to it and is much spunkier, more youthful and livelier than the original one. Director Marc Webb (500 Days Of Summer) makes The Amazing Spider-Man as he sees it — A young man using his powers for playful, mischievous reasons rather than the heroic acts of courage and responsibility that most heroes are known for, being very jokey and sarcastic while  apprehending a criminal or web-swinging past bystanders.  

Garfield, also, does a brilliant job in portraying Peter Parker. His role differs greatly from the 2002 version portrayed by Tobey Maguire, but that is more than OK. This Peter Parker is not only more sarcastic, wittier and funnier than his 2002 counterpart, but Garfield is also very emotional as Peter, perfectly portraying all of Peter’s emotions from happiness to sadness, to anger to grief, as he tries to discover what really happened to his parents all those years ago. 

No, this isn’t as masterful as the original Spider-Man film, mainly because the script doesn’t address Spidey’s themes of power and responsibility in the way that Raimi’s film did. This, however, is just a minor flaw that can be easily overlooked. 

The Amazing Spider-Man releases on DVD and Blu-ray on Nov. 9.  

Follow David Dunn on Twitter @heliconerman89 or email him at davidadunn@mavs.uta.edu.

David Dunn is an aspiring filmmaker, critic, and analyst currently attending the University of Texas at Arlington, and writes for the newspaper, The Shorthorn.