Review: 6 makeup recommendations to try out this spring

Many people change their makeup based on the season, but with COVID-19 limiting people’s interactions outside, it can be hard to get inspiration from the people you see out and about.

Here’s my six spring makeup recommendations, thoroughly tested.

Morphe 9V Vintage Rose Artistry Palette, $12

Morphe’s quality is notoriously hit or miss, but for me this palette was an absolute hit. It’s a 9-pan palette, similar to the ColourPop ones that kicked off the small square palette trend, but it’s definitely sturdier and a little bigger than ColourPop’s.

This palette has a deceptive range. When I bought it I thought I’d get something capable of only casual looks, but the bottom right shade can amp things up and the shimmers bring beautiful light.

If I’m doing makeup, I tend to want something bold or fun in some way. But on days when I want to know I’ll look good, this palette’s my go-to, especially in spring.

Fenty Beauty Gloss Bomb Universal Lip Luminizer, $19

One thing I will say is do not buy this product without smelling one first, either a tester or a friend’s. I’ve heard more YouTubers complain than not about the strong smell, which I personally love and is what pushed me to buy it.

I have a mini of the shade Fu$$y and a full-size of Fenty Glow, but I’ll admit I got them on sale during the Fenty holiday promotion last year. However, I do think that if you know you like the smell and buy one full-price, you won’t be disappointed.

The gloss is a subtle, medium-thick formula that stays on the lips for a long time. It fades well too and comes in many colors, including clear. A great pick for spring or summer.

Urban Decay Naked Cherry Palette, $49

Whether you don’t want to support Morphe or just have a penchant for price, if you want a more expensive version of the Vintage Rose palette, this one’s for you.

I can’t attest to the quality of this palette compared to other Naked palettes because this is the only one I’ve tried, but I’ll tell you that personally I was disappointed by it. I prefer a pigmented eyeshadow that matches what you see in the pan on the eyes, and this palette was more sheer and blended almost too well.

However, I know lots of people want easy washes of color, and this Naked palette gave me that. The Naked Cherry also has more colors than the Vintage Rose palette, including several golds in varying tones and colors leaning more red and maroon than pink.

I was extremely impressed by the quality and weight of the packaging and even liked the palette enough to wear it on my birthday last year when I wanted something pretty and subtle. So although it’s not my dream palette, it definitely has its place in my collection.

ColourPop BFF Crème Gel Liners, $7

I absolutely love a colorful liner for spring, and I’ve tried quite a few in my day. But I’ve found that several brands’ wooden liners require an annoying warm-up use on my hand first, otherwise I’ll stab my eye out trying to get a payoff.

When I think of these liners, my first reaction is “effortless.” ColourPop isn’t the only brand to do a retractable liner, but theirs are so good I don’t feel the need to try anything else. They’re as creamy as the name suggests and work well on the waterline as well as being able to top dark eyeshadow in only a few swipes.

They come in every color you can think of, and the site is constantly doing sales on top of their already low prices, so there’s really no reason not to add one to your cart next time you’re trying to get to free shipping.

LimeCrime Softwear Blush, $22

Listen. I sometimes buy things for the packaging. I’m sorry, it’s one of my weaknesses and my goblin brain wants pretty things.

The LimeCrime Softwear Blush was one of those purchases for me, although I admit I got it on sale and wouldn’t have bought it full price unless the packaging was made of gold. But this product absolutely did not disappoint, and if you’re really into the cream blush trend I can recommend it to you in good conscience, even full price.

Before trying this blush I thought I didn’t like cream blushes. But LimeCrime’s formula is a weirdly firm consistency for a cream, and it can sheer out to almost nothing or build enough to let you embrace your E-girl dreams.

I have an orange-y shade called “Anthurium,” but I have my eye on this really weird green one called “Megabyte,” just ‘cause I’m curious. If anyone reading this has tried it, leave a review under this review.

L’Oréal Colour Riche Plump and Shine Lip Color, $10

My last recommendation is quite the underdog. I’ve never heard anyone talk about it, probably because L’Oréal isn’t known for being the most inventive brand. But this product surprised me with a unique formula to my collection, and I actually ended up going back to get another shade.

Say it with me: I wouldn’t recommend this at full price. Honestly, I don’t remember the last time I bought any makeup at full price because makeup is purposefully extortionately priced. As a result most brands, especially drugstore brands, have sales all the time.

I got mine on sale for less than five bucks, and I love the slight cooling sensation it gives. The feel is a lot like a tinted lip balm, but more slippery than a traditional ChapStick. Although it’s called “Plump,” it’s barely tingly and not painful at all.

It comes in nine shades, and it’s more than worth a try if you can snag one on a deal.