You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Meal plans provide students with options

Meal plan options

Many options are available when fending for food on campus, and more are still to come.

A meal plan is an organized way to purchase food on campus, said University Center director David Albart.

Students with meal plans can use their allotted amount of meal swipes in the Connection Café, using Dining Dollars at locations around campus or eating at any of the growing options in the College Park District.

Students who live on campus can choose among four meal plan options. The amount of meal swipes, Dining Dollars and days that can be used varies. Dining Dollars can be used at any UC food court restaurant, Starbucks, Einstein Bros. Bagels and on-campus markets, Albart said.

Purchasing a meal plan is a requirement for anyone living in Arlington or the Vandergriff or Kalpana Chawla halls, he said.

Information systems freshman Krishna Mukkamala said the dining options' locations make getting food easier when he has classes in the Business Building and lives in Kalpana Chawla Hall.

Meal plans provide students without access to kitchens an easier time planning for meals, Albart said. Even students who live in apartments off campus can benefit from the ease of a meal plan.

All options include $50 in College Park Dollars, which can be used at Pie Five Pizza Co. and Texadelphia. Another restaurant opening in College Park District is in the works, but contracts have not been made official yet, Albart said.

For students living off campus, three options are available. On-the-go meal plans present a more affordable meal option to commuter students.

“What it really comes down to is a more balanced meal option,” he said.

@chanel_sassoon