You are the owner of this article.
You have permission to edit this article.
Edit

Campus traditions to welcome incoming students

A welcome at UTA includes an introduction to the many campus traditions and activities available for students to participate in, whether those events are playing mud volleyball, pushing a bed across the Maverick Stadium turf or rubbing the bust of E.H. Hereford for good luck on exams.

Campus staff members host events to encourage students to have fun and socialize with their peers, University Events director P.K. Kelly said.

“We hope that students who participate in these events will feel more connected to the university and develop relationships that will last throughout their collegiate career and beyond,” Kelly said in an email.

Activity Fair Day

Student organizations, departments and vendors set up booths for students to visit and interact with members during the first week of classes every fall and spring semester since 1981. Students can learn about clubs and activities on campus and get food and prizes.

In the fall, this event accompanies the Maverick Cookout, both of which are located on the University Center mall, and invites students to listen to live music and grab food from the grill. In the spring, this event is usually located inside the UC near the Palo Duro Lounge.

Aug. 30 is the fall 2017 Activity Fair Day.

Oozeball Tournament

Participants oozed to lose or slipped to victory in the mud volleyball tournament known as Oozeball, which was voted UTA’s favorite tradition. Since 1989, students, faculty, staff and alumni have competed against each other to support a cause. The event’s proceeds are allocated to the Emergency Assistance Fund, which helps students struggling financially.

The games will begin Sept. 22 on the mud volleyball courts at the corner of Summit Avenue and Greek Row Drive. Participants can register online or at the Maverick Activities Center, and the fee is $75 for teams of six or $15 for single players, said Drew Barfield, Campus Recreation’s Membership and Technology assistant director.

“It’s just something that you have to get involved with,” he said.

Barfield said Oozeball players should double the tape on their shoes to prevent them from slipping off, and students should keep in mind that the mud will be more firm earlier in the day.

Bed Races

Mavericks team up and race against their peers while pushing a bed in style during the annual Bed Races. This event began in fall 1980 as an opening ceremony for the Maverick Stadium.

Groups of five push a rolling bed down the field to win awards for the fastest teams in the men’s, women’s and co-recreational categories. Teams can also win based on their costumes, creativity and enthusiasm.

The date for this event has not yet been confirmed.

Homecoming Week

Orange, blue and white run rampant during Homecoming Week, as students, faculty and staff welcome alumni back to UTA and cheer on the basketball teams. Fall 2017 Homecoming Week is scheduled for Nov. 5-12.

Though Homecoming Week events have not been decided yet, events such as a step show, pep rally, parade, alumni awards ceremony and street festival usually take place during the week.

Maverick Stampede

This event welcomes back students returning to UTA in the fall. Sometimes referred to as Welcome Week, Maverick Stampede includes the MavsMeet Convocation and After Party, where attendees can hear remarks from UTA leaders and see live musical and dance performances. The Mavsmeet Convocation and After Party is scheduled for Aug. 22.

Waffleopolis is another planned event during Maverick Stampede, and this fall, the event will celebrate its 20th anniversary. The event allows students to socialize while tasting waffles and is usually well-attended, hosting about 3,500 students annually, said J.C. Stoner, Residence Life assistant director.

“It is a great way to come out and meet people and make new friends, enjoy some delicious waffles, ice cream and toppings,” Stoner said in an email. “What better way to spend the night before classes start?”

Waffleopolis is scheduled for 8 p.m. Aug. 23 on the UC mall. Other events for Maverick Stampede have not been determined yet.

International Week

Since 1977, this event, usually scheduled in the spring, allows participants to celebrate UTA’s diverse campus and explore other cultures.

Though the date and activities have not been confirmed, International Week usually includes an international food fair, a parade of flags and a fashion show.

@MadelynEdward13