Gov. Greg Abbott has extended the state disaster declaration in response to COVID-19 in Texas Sunday.

Abbott originally issued a state disaster declaration on March 13. At the time there were 39 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Texas, according to a previous Shorthorn article.

A state of disaster declaration may not continue for more than 30 days unless renewed by the governor, according to the state Capitol’s website. By these standards, the disaster declaration would end on May 12. The legislature may terminate a state disaster at any time.

As of Sunday morning, there are 13,484 cases of COVID-19 reported in Texas with 271 deaths, according to the Texas Health and Human Services website. The number of lab confirmed COVID-19 patients currently in Texas hospitals is 1,338.

"By extending my disaster declaration, we are ensuring the state of Texas continues to have adequate resources and capabilities to support our communities and protect public health," Abbott said in a press release.

President Donald Trump approved a disaster declaration for Wyoming on Saturday, ordering federal assistance to supplement state and local recovery efforts in the areas affected by COVID-19, according to a White House news release. This approval marks a disaster declaration in all 50 states.