Dallas County extends disaster declaration, announces stay-at-home order to continue until April 30 (copy)

Downtown Dallas seen from the top of the Texas Star Ferris wheel Oct. 1, 2019 at the State Fair of Texas. Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins extended the city's disaster declaration until May 20 and the stay-at-home order until April 30. 

As Dallas County saw one of its highest number of COVID-19 deaths in one day, officials advised residents in areas with high COVID-19 community spread to continue avoiding communal settings Tuesday, despite Gov. Greg Abbott’s plans to reopen the economy.

Dallas County reported 10 deaths and 135 new cases Tuesday, bringing its total case count to 3,240 and 94 deaths.

Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins said the county has not seen a decline in deaths, new cases or hospitalizations in the last two weeks.

“I strongly recommend everyone take their advice from the CDC and local health authorities as to what is safe for them, their families and our broader community,” Jenkins said in a Dallas County press release Tuesday.

According to a Dallas County Health and Human Services report, of the 796 cases requiring hospitalization, most have been either over 60 years old or have had at least one known high-risk chronic health condition. Diabetes has been an underlying health condition in about a third of all hospitalized patients with COVID-19.

Jenkins said though Abbotts' orders have changed, the recommendations from the CDC and public health officials remain the same.

“I’m not telling you this to second guess the governor,” he said. “I’m telling you this because now it’s up to you to make good decisions.”

Dr. Philip Huang, Dallas County Health and Human Services director, recommended residents continue to practice physical distancing, washing hands and wearing masks.

“It’s up to all of you, both business owners and individuals, to make really good personal responsibility choices,” Jenkins said.