David Dunn is an aspiring filmmaker, critic, and analyst currently attending the University of Texas at Arlington, and writes for the newspaper, The Shorthorn.

Mic

Mic Wilson, Kappa Sigma headquarters executive director, posing for a shot in his office in Charlottesville, VA. We're completing filming for our video series this week. 

I’m not ready for this.

It’s my second to last week as an intern at Kappa Sigma headquarters in Charlottesville, Virginia. These last few days will arguably be my busiest of the summer. We have five videos left we have to finish for our executive officer instructional series, as well as miscellaneous office tasks that our supervisors need completed before the conclusion of our internship. I have no doubt that we’ll be able to finish filming, editing and publishing the videos in time, as well as finishing up our other responsibilities before the summer’s end.

I’m ready for the workload. What I’m not ready for is saying goodbye.

During my time at headquarters, I’ve gained both relevant experience and personal relationships that will help me in my career post-graduation. It’s been the most useful to me as far as building up a portfolio, business connections and my resume goes.

But professional growth is not the only thing I’ve gained from this internship. I’ve also gained personal growth.

When I wake up at 7 a.m. every morning and drive to headquarters, I don’t feel like I’m coming to work. I don’t feel like the people around me are employees, and I don’t feel like I’m unimportant to our operations. Every week, I’ve had to tackle something different and fun that’s tested me and my skills. The staff in the office are great to talk to and make you feel welcome every time you walk in. And no matter what video I edited, what heavy object I lifted or what task I completed, I’ve been told time and time again how much my work was appreciated and how I’ve helped make things easier .

I’m not overstating it when I say this is the best job I’ve had during my college career. To say goodbye this soon just feels sort of crippling.

The more I linger on it, the more I think about the repercussions when I go back to UTA. Here’s what will happen when I return for the fall: I’m going to go to my classes Monday through Friday week in and week out. I’m going to stress out studying during mid-terms and finals. When I’m not doing homework, I will either be working or doing something in the community with my chapter of Kappa Sigma. In December, I will graduate with a bachelor’s degree in communications.

Then what?

When I graduate, I’m not going to be a UTA student. I’m not going to be a Kappa Sigma undergraduate. All I’m going to be reduced to is a name on a resume and a cover letter.

I realize that this isn’t any special circumstance for me. I’m aware that I’m only one of thousands of UTA graduates who are going to be in this same situation come December. That still doesn’t change what we’re all going to be facing, and it especially doesn’t change how I’m feeling right now.

I’m grateful for everything I have learned at UTA. I’m grateful for this internship, and I’m especially grateful for Kappa Sigma. But right now, as I’m editing these videos and building up my job application materials, I’m looking for the next step. It scares me that I can’t see where it is.

@dDUnn87

multimedia.editor-shorthorn@uta.edu