While making the grade — ideally A's and B's — is important during your college career, some would say it doesn't matter to employers as long as you get a degree. In many cases, this is true.

But that doesn't mean you should do the bare minimum in your classes. Many employers will want to see transcripts, so a slacker in the classroom could come across as a potential slacker employee. As part of an undergraduate career preparation plan, the Career Center advises that you strive to earn high grades, as it could affect your job prospects.

CareerBuilder, an expert jobs search site the Career Center recommends, says the same.

The following are some ways they say employers deal with applicants' grades. Some employers even have minimum grade-point average requirements for applicants.

• Screening applicants: employers use GPA, especially for recent graduates, to decide whether such applicants are capable.
  • Technical fields: nursing, accounting and actuarial science are a few fields where grades are important.
  • Applying for a job with a large corporation: You’re not the only one who wants to work for a big company. GPA is a way to weed out some applicants.

For advice specific to your situation, consult the experts at the Career Center.

@JohnathanSilver