Regardless of what you want as a career, you likely can do it for the government. The federal government is looking for enthusiastic college graduates and the Career Center will host a Feb. 5 workshop touting fed jobs and answering your questions regarding such a prospect. The workshop "How to Find a Federal Job," 12:30-2 p.m. in the University Center Red River and Concho rooms, is part of a series of events for job-seeking students for February, career month.

Each department handles its hiring operations, posting and soliciting openings internally and on its own websites. Also, the federal government as a whole consolidates all job opportunities at www.USAJobs.gov.

A couple things that set the federal government job application process apart from others are the resume and the job requirements.

While career experts traditionally stress concise resumes, other say there is more flexibility with federal government resumes, which could span for pages because you are ideally including all background experience. That doesn't rule your one- to two-page resume obsolete. Both types of resumes are acceptable; however, the federal government will want to know all it can about its applicants, which translates into a thorough resume including job descriptions, salaries and supervisor information. This can be the case because of the security concerns that come with many government jobs and the search for the most qualified applicants.

The Career Center provides examples of resumes for federal and regular jobs.

General Requirements for federal government job
When applying for jobs, know the following:
  • Age requirement: Minimum age requirement to apply for most jobs is 18. Some jobs have age caps. For example, some agencies won't offer a new prospective employee a job if he or she is 34 to 37 years old.
  • U.S. citizenship: Most positions in federal government require applicants to be legal U.S. citizens. Non-citizens should contact the hiring agency.
  • Social Security number: Federal employees must have a Social Security number. Generally, only U.S. citizens can hold federal positions, but there are some exceptions for other classifications. All U.S. citizens are entitled to a Social Security number. If you do not have or know your number and you are a U.S. citizen, contact the U.S. Social Security Administration.
  • Criminal records and security clearance: All employees go through background checks. That doesn't necessarily disqualify someone with a criminal record. Agencies will review each circumstance individually. Also, once a job is offered, employees might have to undergo security clearance, which consists of an investigation.

Sources: U.S. Office of Personnel Management, U.S. General Services Administration, GovernmentJobsCentral.com

Also, check out a list of federal jobs by major.

@JohnathanSilver