Your chances aren't great in this job market if your resume's experience section is blank. A degree alone doesn't guarantee a job offer.

Bottom line: Get a job — any job.

Career consultant Ayanna Parker from the Career Center provides insight on this section of the resume.

Internships/Apprenticeships

There are a variety of internship opportunities: paid, unpaid, paid with academic credit or unpaid with credit. The same variety goes for what work with a certain organization might entail. Students depict internships as getting coffee and making copies for bosses, while others say it's like being a regular employee. Regardless, all students are in a position of being exposed to the happenings of an industry in which they hope to work.

The Career Center is holding an internship workshop 1-2 p.m. Feb. 6 in the University Center San Saba Room. The center is stressing that in today's economy, finding a job is becoming more difficult, and it doesn't help there being more people searching for fewer jobs. Recruiters will speak to attendees about internship programs during the event.

Informational Interviewing

Something particularly alluring to employers is a student-applicant who takes the initiative. Contacting a certain organization and asking for an informational interview is an opportunity for a prospective employee to learn more about a field of interest.

Also, keep in mind that not all openings are advertised. These interviews could be used to inquire about a post. One might be available or, if not, you could use the opportunity to promote yourself and create a position for yourself.

Volunteer

This might seem like an unpaid, no-credit internship, but the end result is the same: You're looking for a job.

Volunteer opportunities are abundant, and if you prove yourself eager and diligent, you could assume more roles and responsibilities within an organization. All these happenings make adequate resume entries.

If you're worried about being paid, you have to keep in mind that it might hurt now, but you have to have a long-term plan in mind.

General

Employees are looking for well-rounded applicants. They need to have a broad range of skills that will help them better communicate or perform tasks. An example would be taking on a management role with any type of organization and being willing to take on more assignments or help the organization better fulfill its objectives.

@JohnathanSilver