If you’re at the point of the job search when you’re getting ready for interviews, then it’s almost time to put all your training to use. Go into the interview confident.

Check out some things the Career Center says to watch out for during the interview.

What to do

1. Go to the interview site before the day of the interview or be sure you know exactly where it is and how long it takes to get there. Show up early to the interview.

2. Dress the part for the job, the company and the industry, and err on the side of conservatism.

3. If presented with a job application, fill it out neatly, completely and accurately.

4. Shake hands firmly. Don't have a limp or clammy handshake.

5. Show enthusiasm in the position and the company.

6. Avoid controversial topics.

7. Show off the research you have done on the company and industry when responding to questions.

8. Show what you can do for the company rather than what the company can do for you.

9. Try and get business cards from each person who interviews you — or at least the correct spelling of their first and last names. Don’t make assumptions about simple names (Was it Jon or John?). Get the spelling.

10.  Make good eye contact with your interviewer.

What not to do

1. Don’t fidget or slouch.

2. Don't rely on your application or resume to sell you. No matter how qualified you are for the position, you will need to sell yourself to the interviewer. Also, don’t refer the interviewer to your resume.

3. Don’t smoke, even if the interviewer does and offers you a cigarette. Also, don’t smoke beforehand so that you smell like smoke. Brush your teeth, use mouthwash or have a breath mint before the interview.

4. Don’t be soft-spoken. A forceful voice projects confidence.

5. Don’t act as though you would take any job or are desperate for employment.

6. Don’t say anything negative about former colleagues, supervisors or employers.

7. Don’t lie. Answer questions truthfully, frankly and succinctly. And don't over-answer questions.

8. Don’t answer questions with a simple "yes" or "no." Explain whenever possible.

9. Don’t respond to an unexpected question with an extended pause or by saying something such as, "Boy, that's a good question." Repeat the question out loud or ask for the question to be repeated to give you a little more time to think about an answer. (Also, a short pause before responding is OK.)

10. Don’t inquire about salary, vacations, bonuses, retirement or other benefits until after you've received an offer. (Be prepared for a question about your salary requirements, but try and delay salary talk until you have an offer.)

For more insight or if you’re just nervous, stop by the Career Center’s Mock Interview Day from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Feb. 4 in Davis Hall Room 216.

@JohnathanSilver