If you don't have a LinkedIn profile, get one right now, says Career Services coordinator Cliff Garinn.

Throughout this semester, we have provided tips and trends about the job search, and many times, the information in some way related to sites — including LinkedIn — because they are additional ways for students to network and find job opportunities.

LinkedIn is a networking website that many can think of as a Facebook for professionals. You don't have to have a job to have a profile. You simply use it to establish an online presence before a professional career begins. Students can start off with stating their major, career aspirations, leadership positions, organization memberships and college accomplishments, Garinn said.

"Don't include high school stuff because that's now outdated once you're in college," he said.

Much like Facebook, students should stay engaged and update profiles regularly.

"As you grow in your college career, as you grow in your jobs, then your LinkedIn profile and page connections will grow," Garinn said, adding that students should aim for three new connections a week.

Connecting is how people on LinkedIn have other account holders join their personal network, much like friending on Facebook.

Don't want a profile? Not a good idea, Garinn said.

"If you don't have a profile on the major social networking channels, then it just shows you're old school."

@JohnathanSilver

olu.silver@mavs.uta.edu