This semester, The Shorthorn takes on a blog about the job hunt and career preparation for students. This semester I will deliver stories on trends in the job-seeking industry and talk to experts in the field to get advice for students.

Let's start with the basics.

The Career Center at UTA provides us with a timetable suggestion for students to follow when preparing for a job. The center stresses acting with intent, which means what you do during your college career is done with your future and jobs prospects in mind.

Below, the Career Center shares its path to graduation with students:

First-year students
- Identify campus resources. Establish relationships with faculty members, academic advisers, peers, deans and staff.
This proves helpful, especially if you want letters of recommendation and access to the Career Center's experts on employer relations and applying for and nabbing job offers.
- Develop good time management, goal setting, study habits and good communication skills. Strive to reach your GPA potential.
- Join organizations or volunteer to enhance leadership opportunities and explore interests and build skills.
UTA has hundreds of student groups and an online presence, which the Student Governance and Organizations Department has consolidated with http://mavorgs.collegiatelink.net/.
- Become familiar with the services provided by UTA's Career Center.
- Look for relevant experiences through internships, volunteering, part-time jobs and summer jobs.
- Write a resume and determine areas you need to develop further.
- Attend career development workshops and career fairs to gather information on potential careers and employers.

The next fair at UTA is Feb. 20. February is Career Month at UTA. The Career Center will provide tips on resumes, networking, interviewing skills and more.

Second-year students
- Meet with your adviser and career counselor to discuss your career goals and job-search strategies. Learn where recent graduates are working.
- Make contact and develop relationships with faculty and professionals in your field of study. Use the contacts to build your network and develop references.
- Determine the training, growth rate, expected salary range and possible locations for your desired career.
- Attend workshops to learn more about resume and cover letter writing, interviewing and internships.
- Develop and enhance your skills through student organizations, co-op, internships and part-time employment.
- Consider joining professional organizations and/or associations related to your major if you have decided on one.
- Build skills in areas of importance to employers, including oral and written communication, teamwork, leadership, problem-solving and computer skills.
- Update your resume, and become familiar with companies recruiting on campus and their expectations.
- Register for your school's job-search system to apply for full-time, part-time and internship opportunities and to conduct on-campus interviews.

Third-year students
- Meet again with your adviser and career counselor to discuss career goals and job-search strategies.
- Thoroughly research the employers you are considering.
- Select elective courses that will broaden your academic foundation and expand your employment opportunities.
- Attend professional meetings and conferences related to your major.
- Seek an internship, part-time position or summer position that will enable you to gain experience in your field.
- Obtain information on graduate programs and entry requirements. Prepare for and take required exams for graduate school.
- Continue building your network of faculty and professional contacts.
- Join and get involved with professional organizations and/or associations related to your major.
- Hold a leadership position in a campus organization and serve on committees. 
In addition to getting leadership positions through a UTA organization, the Student Congress outreach arm looks for students each fall and spring to sign up to be considered for appointments to university committees.
- Attend career development workshops to learn the most effective job-search techniques.
- Polish your resume, cover letter and interview skills.
- If you have not already done so, register for the school's job-search system.
- Attend career fairs and send thank-you letters after each interview to every person who assisted you in the job-search process.

Fourth-year students and beyond
- Send thank-you letters after each interview to every person who assisted you in the job-search process.
- If you have not already done so, register for your school's job-search system.
- Attend job-search workshops.
- Identify skills you have to offer employers.
- Prepare for interviews by using your school's job-search system, the Internet, professional organizations'/associations' websites and other resources to research companies and opportunities.
- Buy interview/professional attire and a portfolio to hold resumes, cover letters, references, etc.
- Meet again with your adviser and career counselor on a regular basis to assess your job-search strategies and to have your resume and cover letter critiqued.
- If considering graduate school, take appropriate admissions tests.
- Participate in mock interviews and/or practice your interviewing skills with Interview Stream.
- Network with faculty, professionals and alumni in your field to develop job-search techniques and opportunities.
- Participate in career fairs, networking receptions and campus interviews.
- Write letters of inquiry to prospective employers and send follow-up letters and make phone calls.
- Use your school breaks to conduct prospective tours and company visits.
- Invest time each day on your job search. A productive job search takes as much time as a 3-credit hour course.
- Upon accepting a position, report post-graduation plans to career services office.
- Withdraw your resume from your school's job-search system to prevent further referrals. The system will continue to be available to alumni after graduation.

Note: The Career Center stresses that each student's path is unique. One way to get specific and direct advice is by meeting with consultants at the Career Center.

Throughout this semester, this blog will bring trends and experts' advice on the tools you need to be successful in you job hunt. Send me an email if you have questions or comments about looking for a job or careers in general.

@JohnathanSilver