To close out his final day as a teenager, UTA sophomore golfer Riley Fleming won the Sun Life Financial Alberta Men's Amateur Championship in Alberta, Canada, after shooting a 5-under 67 to finish with a one-shot victory.

Fleming captured the Alberta Open Championship last month becoming the first amateur to win the event in eight years.

Fleming made nine birdies in the final round, leading him to the title at Sundre Golf Club on July 19, a day before his 20th birthday.

"I didn't like the thought of giving up my title," Fleming told the Calgary Herald. "I quite like being the Alberta champion, and it all just worked in my favor, and I played one of the best rounds I've ever played."

Fleming began his final round in Alberta nine-strokes back from third round leader Evan Holmes and birdied five of the first six holes, which trimmed the lead down to two going into the back nine.

On Holmes’ heels, Fleming birdied the 18th hole after Holmes missed his putt for par, giving Fleming the victory.

“It took me 2 days to figure out these fast greens, and I just needed to get the proper line on 18. Once I found it, I knew I was going to make it,” Fleming told www.albertagold.org, regarding his putt to win.

@_Grizzygrant

@grant.mckinley@mavs.uta.edu