Michael Choice

Former Mavericks centerfielder Michael Choice will play against the Rangers Sept. 2 in Oakland as part of the A's lineup. Choice broke the school's all-time record for single-season walks. (The Shorthorn: File Photo)

Former UTA baseball player Michael Choice went 0-2 and scored a run as designated hitter, making his debut for the Oakland Athletics against the Texas Rangers on Monday in Oakland Calif.

Choice, batted ninth, reached first base in his first at-bat against the Rangers, and once again in the fifth after a miss-throw to first from Texas’ Adrian Beltre.

A’s manager Bob Melvin said he was pleased with Choice’s debut.

"First at-bat walk, which for the A's is like a starting out with a homer," Melvin told MLB.com.

The former Maverick has a chance to earn a spot in the lineup because of his left-handed batting stance, according to Melvin.

Former UTA outfielder Michael Choice is in today’s Oakland Athletics starting lineup against the Texas Rangers after being called up to join the team on Sunday.

Choice will bat ninth and be the team’s designated hitter against the Rangers, according to the Fort Worth Star-Telegram’s Drew Davison's Twitter account. 

“It’s a great time. It’s exciting,” Choice told MLB.com. “I’ve been waiting for an opportunity, and when I get it I’ll try to make the most of it.”

Choice was drafted No. 10 overall in the 2010 First-Year Player Draft, and was an All-American during his time as a Maverick from 2008-2010. He batted .302, 154 hits, 89 RBIs and 14 home runs while with the Triple-A affiliate Sacramento River Cats.  

UTA baseball head coach Darin Thomas said he’s glad to see another Maverick playing in the Big Leagues.  

“I am really happy for Michael today,” Thomas told www.utamavs.com. “He has succeeded at every level of the game. I am looking forward to seeing him play in the big leagues for a long time.” 

The Oakland Athletics take on the Texas Rangers at 3:05 p.m. in Oakland, Calif.  

@GusContreras21

gcontreras@mavs.uta.edu