The men’s team is now sitting on a three-game losing streak, and it came last night at the hands of The University of Louisiana at Lafayette, who came out draining shots like it was NBA Jams.

At one point of the game, it was 40-15 in favor of the Ragin’ Cajuns. Yikes.

Where the Cajuns took advantage of the Mavericks offense was shutting down senior guard Reger Dowell to nine shots and only scoring 11 points.

The second half, however, was much better for UTA as the Mavericks outscored the Ragin’ Cajuns 55-43. The only problem was a decisive decision made by the referees, which ended the game on a controversial call.

The Mavericks recovered a missed free throw but the ball was knocked out of bounds as time expired leaving UTA with the loss.

The loss knocked the Mavericks to No. 6 in the Sun Belt standings and, with eight games left, they have some climbing to do.

Did I mention they still play the top-four teams in the conference during that stretch?

Not an easy climb.

The women’s team did something they haven’t done since 2010: win two games in a row.

Granted, the teams’ second win was against the second-to-last team in the conference, but a win is a win.

Senior center Desherra Nwanguma had a monster 34 points, which is a career-high and a season-high for the Mavericks.

The defense for UTA held Lafayette to 29 percent shooting and the team also controlled the rebounding advantage, 42-27.

Sometimes, one win can be enough to spark a drive and maybe these last two wins will be enough to help the women’s team get back on track.

@JesseD_UTA

jesse.detienne@mavs.uta.edu