Women's golf hosts inaugural UTA Invitational

Freshman Janae Tan prepares to tee off during the UTA Invitational on Oct. 23 in Mansfield, Texas. Tan finished the tournament 48th overall and shot 10-over-par 81 in the final round.

MANSFIELD, Texas — The women’s golf team capped off its inaugural UTA Invitational with a fifth-place finish Tuesday at Walnut Creek Country Club.

“It was really nice; we had a lot of support,” associate head coach Catherine Matranga said about the event. “It wasn’t exactly what we were going for on that [competition] side of it, but just to have as many people as we did is just awesome.”

Leading the charge, sophomore Sydney Garber closed out the home event in a tie for 12th at 14-over par 227.

Finishing up on the front nine, Garber birdied at the last hole to move up four places and register a final-round 73.

“It was really frustrating on that back nine,” Garber said. “I was just trying so hard on my last few holes to make a birdie.”

Sophomore Kate Tran and freshman Connor Howard followed eight strokes behind Garber to place in a tie for 26th.

Rounding it off for the Mavericks, sophomore Madigan Murray tied for 33rd at 28-over, while freshman Abigail Adams took 45th at 37-over.

Freshman Janane Tan competed as an individual and her scores did not count toward the team total. Tan finished the event at 50-over par, placing 48th.

Overall, the Mavericks registered scores of 315-310-308 to wrap up the tournament at 81-over par.

The Mavericks return to the green for their final fall tournament, the Little Rock Classic, on Sunday in Hot Springs Village, Arkansas.

“Sometimes having a quick turnaround can be good,” Matranga said. “It’s almost like another tournament round the next day. You don’t have a lot of time to fix things, so what do we need to do the next day just to go get the job done?”