Photos: Dallas Wings break losing streak, defeat Atlanta Dream

Dallas Wings guard Arike Ogunbowale shoots a 3-pointer June 15 during the game against the Atlanta Dream at College Park Center. Ogunbowale had a team-high 17 points in the Wings' first win of the season.

The Dallas Wings (1-5) picked up their first win of the season after defeating the Atlanta Dream (1-5) 71-61 on Saturday at College Park Center.

The win put an end to Dallas’ five-game losing streak.

Forward Glory Johnson said the team was more aggressive defensively in Saturday’s game than it has been in the past few games. The Wings collected 12 steals throughout the contest and forced 20 turnovers.

“We were denying lanes, we were getting steals,” Johnson said. “The big deal today was our defense — it was huge.”

Guard Allisha Gray opened the scoring for the Wings with a quick 3-pointer coming off a steal from center Theresa Plaisance.

However, the Dream capitalized on a cold shooting start from the Wings to close out the first quarter with a 13-8 lead. Dallas went 3-17 from the field with two of their made attempts coming from beyond the arc.

Rookie guard Arike Ogunbowale provided a spark for the Wings in the second quarter where she made three of her six field goal attempts. She scored eight points in the period.

Atlanta forward Elizabeth Williams helped the visitors hold the lead as she hit on all four of her field goal attempts in the first half. The Wings shot 9-35 as a team as the Dream took a 32-28 halftime lead into the break.

The Wings regained the lead in the third quarter after guard Brooke McCarty-Williams hit a 3-pointer to bring the score to 43-40. Dallas outscored Atlanta 17-12 to close out the period with a 45-44 lead.

Dallas closed the game, outscoring Atlanta 26-17 in the fourth quarter to pick up its first win of the season. Ogunbowale led all scorers with 17 points on 6-17 shooting, while forward Kayla Thornton led the Wings in rebounds with seven.

Head coach Brian Agler said his team has improved every game this season.

“I was really proud of our team,” Agler said. “We had our opportunities and have come up short a couple of times, but they’ve hung in there; they’ve been resilient.”