Photos: The Wings lose to the Aces as Liz Cambage misses return

Dallas Wings forward Kayla Thornton dribbles down the court Aug. 3 during the game against the Las Vegas Aces at College Park Center. The Wings led after 3 quarters but the Aces battled back for a 75-70 win.

The Dallas Wings (6-16) fell to the Las Vegas Aces (15-7) by a score of 75-70 on Saturday at College Park Center.

Both teams came into Saturday’s game on different ends of the spectrum. Dallas has the second-worst record in the WNBA, while Las Vegas is in contention for a playoff spot.

All-star center Liz Cambage was expected to make her return to College Park Center on Sunday after being traded from Dallas to Las Vegas in mid-May but did not play during the matchup. According to the Aces’ Twitter account, Cambage was out for rest.

Dallas opened the game on a quick 6-0 scoring run started by a breakaway layup from guard Arike Ogunbowale. The Aces were able to score nine unanswered points to take a 9-6 lead with 5:42 left in the first quarter.

Las Vegas closed out the first period with a 21-15 lead. Things got chippy as the quarter came to a close when a technical foul was called on Wings’ head coach Brian Agler with 19 seconds left on the clock.

The technical call came after Agler argued a call with Aces’ head coach Bill Laimbeer. Agler didn’t know what caused the call but said after it was made, the two coaches had a disagreement.

“[Laimbeer] came down and wanted them to throw me out, and I told him to sit down,” Agler said.

Dallas outscored Las Vegas 22-21 in the second quarter, but the Aces were able to take a 42-37 lead into the halftime break. Guard Kayla McBride led the Aces in scoring with nine points. Center Carolyn Swords, who started in place of Cambage, followed closely with seven points on 3-5 shooting.

Center Imani McGee-Stafford came off the bench and took the scoring lead for the Wings with eight points, while Ogunbowale tallied seven points on 3-6 shooting.

The Wings chipped away at the deficit and regained the lead with 51 seconds left in the third quarter. Ogunbowale added eight points in the period to increase her total to 15.

Las Vegas outscored Dallas 23-16 in the fourth quarter to ultimately close out the game with a 75-70 score. McBride led the Aces with 21 points on 6-11 shooting. Ogunbowale secured her seventh 20-point game of the season when she finished the game with 24 points.

Agler said his team isn’t yet disciplined enough to defeat some of the league’s better teams, like the Aces.  

“You can’t go off track. You can’t go doing your own thing,” Agler said. “We made some mistakes.”

The Wings will travel to face the Seattle Storm at 9 p.m. Thursday at the Angel of the Winds Arena in Everett, Washington.