The Movin’ Mavs and Lady Movin’ Mavs began their 2019-20 season this past month.

The Shorthorn’s Arianna Vedia had the chance to sit down with senior Clarence McCarthy-Grogan and sophomore Annabelle Lindsay in a special interview that involved spicy wings. Here’s some of what was discussed:

The Shorthorn: What are you guys most looking forward to heading into the 2019-20 season?

Annabelle Lindsay: I think what’s really cool about our team is that we’ve recently lost a lot of seniors, so we’re kind of in that rebuilding phase. So, I’m kind of excited to see what the future of our team looks like this season and the seasons to come.

Clarence McCarthy-Grogan: For me, I’m just looking forward to, wanting to, hopefully we can send off three of the senior guys in their fifth year. You know, along with myself, those three guys, we’re the last four from our 2017 national championship. So, it’s going to be a bit of a big year, but, you know, just got to take it one game at a time.

TS: So, last year [the Lady Movin’ Mavs] fell to Alabama in the championship game and [the Movin’ Mavs] took third place in the National Championship tournament. So, what kind of motivation does that give you heading in, knowing your competition and knowing that you fell short these past couple years?

Lindsay: I definitely think it gives you that motivation…To lose in overtime in a championship game is pretty brutal, especially when we lost those four seniors, we really wanted them to leave on that, on that win. So, for us, it gives us a motivation to come out and kind of get our revenge this year and, I don’t know, I’m kind of excited to see what the season has to offer.

McCarthy-Grogan: We’ve got a few new guys this season. We’ve got a couple of juniors from Houston and a new guy from Finland, and just, you know, looking forward to seeing what the team can do this year, because, as I mentioned, you know, it’s going to be a pretty big year for those three [seniors]. I know that they would say that they don’t want it to be about them, but at the same time, to me, they’re my teammates, and I want them to go out with a win.

TS: You guys actually spent your summer traveling overseas. What places did you go to? What kind of people did you meet?

Lindsay: I actually went to Thailand with the Australian under-25 team at the under-25 wheelchair basketball World Championships in Thailand. We actually came second and we lost to the U.S. in the gold medal match, but that was super exciting for me. And then I also got to go to Tokyo where I do a lot of work with the disability advocacy there. Then, I went back home, got to go to Tokyo again and play the Japanese national team.

McCarthy-Grogan: So, I went overseas to Japan as well for the Mitsubishi Electric World Challenge Cup and I was actually with Belle as well. We played at the same tournament. I went with the Australian men’s team, the Australian Rollers. There was also Iran, Japan and Korea there as well. You know, it was my first tour with the Australian men’s team, the senior team. It was just an eye-opener, really, and it was a really cool experience. I’ve never been to Japan before until then, and it was really nice to go there. It’s a really cool country and hopefully [I] can go back there sometime.

TS: How do you balance school while being an athlete and traveling and, you know, especially going out to like compete with your national team?

Lindsay: It’s super hard to be honest. Like, I came into this semester two weeks late and we’re both going to be leaving with like a month to go, so we’ll only really be here for six to seven weeks. So, you kind of have to hope you have understanding professors and really rely on your friends in class to get you notes. Unfortunately, you kind of have to miss out on a lot of those social events that you want to do because you’ve got to catch up on school work that’s going to be due in two weeks, but you’re going to be away.

McCarthy-Grogan: For me, it’s always just been well, you know, I’m always going to be proactive with my professors and just so they know that I’m, you know, I’m doing the work or I’m actually there and I’m trying and they know that I’m an athlete, so they, if they actually know you like face to face, and you know, you go to that, you go to their one-on-one meetings or their office hours or speak to them after class and, you know, I find that it, it made my life a whole lot easier. Otherwise you’ve got to really think about it from their point of view, like you’re just another kid in the classroom and there’s probably 150, 200 kids in the class. They can’t remember everyone. So, you know, you’ve got to cut them a bit of slack as well. And yeah, I think that’s something that I’ve had to sort of learn along the way.

Check out the full interview in the video above.

— These interviews were transcribed by Julio Vega.