The softball team (9-6) walked away with a 13-10 win in extra innings over the University of North Texas on Wednesday at Allan Saxe Field.

After a solo home run gave North Texas a 10-9 lead at the top of the eighth, junior catcher Reagan Wright hit a grand slam to seal the win for UTA.

Head coach Peejay Brun said she enjoyed how the game played out.

“These are the games that we coach for,” Brun said. “You never know what’s going to happen.”

Despite it being 48 degrees with 20 mph winds, the bats were anything but cold as there were 28 hits and seven home runs on the night for both teams.

“Normally the bats don’t always come hot when the weather is so cold,” Brun said. “But both teams were swinging well, and I’m just glad that we got the final home run of the day.”

Wright said she was just looking to make contact on her final at bat.

“I just knew that I had runners on and we were down and needed a base hit to keep it alive,” Wright said. “I was just going for a hard hit.”

Wright, who had a game high seven RBIs, praised her team for their resilience on the night.

“I’m really proud of everyone,” Wright said. “Even though they would come back and hit a home run, we just didn’t give up.”

The Mavericks will hit the road for the Texas Tech Invitational, which will begin with a rematch against the University of North Texas at 12:30 p.m. Friday at Rocky Johnson Field.

@MartinParedesJr