Volleyball team adds 6 players to its roster

The UTA volleyball players cheer for their teammates on the sideline during the match against Coastal Carolina University on Oct. 12, 2018, at College Park Center. Six new players will be added to the team for the 2019 season. 

J.T. Wenger, UTA volleyball head coach, announced the signing of six new players for the 2019 season on Thursday.

“We are excited to put together a class that will add such strength and depth to our program,” Wenger said in a press release. “This group consists of athletes with great arms, speed, and volleyball intuition.”

Danielle Dion

Dion, a 6-foot outside hitter from Richardson, Texas, joins the UTA volleyball program from Plano East High School. Wenger described Dion as a ‘fiery attacker’ with a really fast arm.

Meredith Fisher

Fisher, an outside hitter, is joining the program from Rider High School in Wichita Falls, Texas. Her accolades include being named 2016 District 5-5A Newcomer of the Year, 2017 District 5-5A MVP and 2017 Texas Sports Writers Association Second Team All-State honors.

Jessica Stancliff

Stancliff is a setter from Carrollton, Texas. She spent her high school career at Hebron High School where she helped her team win three Texas state championships.

Megan Walsh 

Walsh is an outside hitter from Grand Rapids Senior High School in Grand Rapids, Minnesota. Throughout her high school career, she earned a 2016 All-Conference First Team selection, a Big Dog All-Star team selection and 2017 Duluth News Tribune All-Area First Team honors.

With Walsh being the only out-of-state recruit, Wenger said he believes she will bring a different style of play to the program.

Allison Wells

Wells is a defensive specialist/libero from Waxahachie, Texas. While at Waxahachie High School, she garnered first and second team all-district honors from 2016-18.

Gabriele White

White is an outside hitter from Lewisville, Texas. She is joining the program from Flower Mound High School.

Wenger said the signing class brings a high pedigree to the program, and he is ready to see them on the court with the rest of his team.

“They are student-athletes that have had very successful high school and club careers, including a pair of State Champions,” Wenger said. “This class is very motivated athletically and academically, and will make UTA proud. I’m excited to get them in the gym for the 2019 season.”