The volleyball team (10-7, 4-3) traveled to The Peach State over the weekend, falling 3-1 in Friday’s match against Georgia State University and winning Sunday’s match 3-2 at Georgia Southern University.

Match No. 1: Georgia State 3, UTA 1

The Mavericks dropped the first set 25-18, making eight kills and seven errors to the Panthers' 17 kills and four errors. Georgia State started with a 6-2 opening score before UTA closed the gap to two points at 10-8. From there, the home side had two three-point streaks to pull away and win the set.

UTA recovered in the second set, winning 25-22. Both teams started evenly until Georgia State seemed to pull away 18-14. But UTA responded by winning nine of 10 points, led by freshman outside hitter Brooke Townsend who made several important kills and blocks to claim the set.

However, UTA couldn’t keep its momentum going, losing the third set 25-16, with four costly service errors burying the Mavericks' play.

In the fourth set, Georgia State flew off to a 8-1 lead before UTA reacted and took a 14-13 lead through kills by Townsend, senior middle blocker Zhanelle Geathers and junior middle blocker Madison Hill. From there, the Panthers edged out UTA by scoring five in a row after pulling even at 18 all to win the set 25-22.

Townsend led the team with 12 kills, followed by Geathers’ nine and Hill’s seven kills. Senior setter Alex Janak snagged a double-double with 19 assists and 12 digs.

Match No. 2: UTA 3, Georgia Southern 2

The Mavericks took the first set 25-21, opening with an early 6-3 lead and sustaining it to the end. Junior outside hitter Kylie Jedlicka, Townsend and Hill all notched three or more kills and Geathers tallied two in the first set.

Georgia Southern took the second set, starting with a 7-2 lead after various UTA service and attacks errors. UTA responded by scoring nine on the bounce through Jedlicka and Geathers kills, two each. Georgia then took eight of nine points, then a further nine points of 15 to take the set 25-23.

The third set was hotly contested between both schools before Georgia Southern pulled away, taking 11 of 13 points — seven consecutive points at the end — to win the set 25-20.

The fourth set scoreline was even tighter than the previous, with neither team holding more than a two-point advantage until the end. Five kills by Geathers, three by Townsend and two by both Hill and freshman middle blocker Michaela Wright won the set 25-22 for UTA to draw level going into the fifth set.

UTA took an early lead in the fifth, 4-1 then 8-5. From there, with Jedlicka’s four kills and Hill’s three, UTA took the set 15-9 and the match 3-2.

Jedlicka led both teams with 22 kills while Geathers totaled 14. Junior libero Madelyn St. Germain had 19 digs with freshman setter Kylee Kapp tallying 15 of her own.

Following this string of road games, UTA hosts Coastal Carolina University 6:30 p.m. Friday and Appalachian State University on Saturday at College Park Center.