The volleyball team (6-4) had its win streak come to a close as the Mavericks went 1-1 on Saturday at College Park Center.

Match No. 1: UTA 3, Belmont University 0

In the opening minutes of the first set, the Mavericks were down by five because of an early 8-3 run by the Belmont Bruins.

UTA responded with a run of its own to tie the set at 14.

In the middle of the set, both teams battled for control with two lead changes and three ties. The Mavericks later jumped ahead to take a 21-18 lead.

In the closing moments of the set, Belmont brought itself within two, keeping the set close at 24-22.

Senior middle blocker Zhanelle Geathers ended the set with a kill of her own to bring the set score to 25-22 and match score to 1-0 in favor of the Mavericks.

The second set was one for the Mavericks; the team held an advantage the entire way, leading by as much as 10 points.

With a cushion lead the Mavericks continued to put the pressure on Belmont, forcing them into a time out as the UTA brought the score to 16-8.

After the break, the Mavericks closed out the set in a winning effort at 25-16 to take 2-0 lead in the match.

In the third set, the Bruins took control early with a 4-1 run.

As the set got more competitive, the score was knotted at 12.

The Mavericks then took a small 3-point lead with a score of 17-14.

Belmont fought back to bring the set within one at 21-20

UTA then closed out the set with a 25-22 victory and the 3-0 match sweep.

Junior libero Madelyn St. Germain led the team in digs with 19 while freshman middle blocker Bre Walp led the team with three blocks.

Match No. 2: Sam Houston State University 3, UTA 0

The Mavericks found themselves down early with the Bearkats leading 10-7.

The Bearkats kept the pressure and continued to build on their lead of eight with a score of 23-15.

As UTA tried to respond with two quick points, a pair of errors sealed the victory for Sam Houston State University with a score of 25-18 to take a 1-0 lead in the match.

The Mavericks recorded a total of eight errors, 11 kills and a 0.077 hitting percentage in the set.

In the beginning of the second set, SHSU attempted to reinstate its dominance, taking the lead four times. UTA later took over the lead at 7-6 for a short time before SHSU tied the set at 8-8.

The competitive play continued until the Bearkats went on an 11-0 run to take control of the set at 18-9.

Facing their biggest deficit of the weekend, the Mavericks attempted to fight back, going on a 7-3 run to bring the score to 21-16.

As the Bearkats eyed a set two victory, a kill by SHSU's Amanda Gooch sealed the win for the Bearkats with a set score of 25-18.

With defeat looming if UTA dropped another set, the Mavericks entered the third set with a 6-3 to get the momentum going.

The Bearkats responded with a 9-6 run of their own to tie the game up at 12-12.

UTA then regained its lead, but the Bearkats clawed their way back to tie the game at 17-17 with a 5-2 run.

As neither team was able to take a lead greater than two points, the rest of the set saw six ties until SHSU was able to claim the score of 25-23 to secure the 3-0 match sweep.

The Mavericks finished the weekend 2-1. Geathers said the team did a lot of good things overall, but it's a little disappointing that they couldn't finish out with a victory.

“Sam Houston came out really consistent,” Geathers said. “We just kinda didn't execute on a couple points on our side.”

The team's loss to Sam Houston State ended its six-match win streak.

"There's some things we did well and some things that we clearly need to improve on,” head coach J.T. Wenger said. “Playing against a pretty seasoned Sam Houston team, they exploited some things we need to work on this week in practice.”

Out of three matches over the weekend, the team only lost four sets.

“We have to take for this, the opportunity to prepare for two matches a week coming up instead of three,” Wenger said. “Continue to really learn about our opponents and get as prepared as we can be.”

Next up, the volleyball team opens up Sun Belt Conference play against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette at 6:30 p.m. Friday at the Earl K. Long Gym in Lafayette, Louisiana.

@Saint_Dallas