UTA volleyball to compete in Cougar Challenge at Washington State

Sophomore middle blocker Bre Walp jumps to spike the ball during the match against the University of North Carolina at Greensboro on Sept. 7 at College Park Center. Walp finished the match with six kills. 

The volleyball team (4-2) will head to Pullman, Washington to compete in the Cougar Challenge this weekend at Washington State University.

UTA begins play Friday with a doubleheader, first against Liberty University at noon, then Washington State at 9:30 p.m. The Mavericks close out play with a match against the Bengals of Idaho State University at 2:30 p.m. Saturday.

The Mavericks enter the Cougar Challenge after having hosted the 2019 Maverick Classic this past weekend where they posted a 2-1 record. UTA swept the University of the Incarnate Word and Southern University before falling to the University of North Carolina at Greensboro in five sets.

Liberty (4-2) is on a four-match win streak. Three of those wins were gathered at the Liberty Invitational last weekend and were followed by a road win at the University of Virginia on Tuesday.

UTA’s second opponent, Washington State (5-1), is also on a four-match win streak. The Cougars won every match at the North Portland Marriott Invitational last weekend.

The Mavericks’ final opponent of the weekend is Idaho State (3-4). The Bengals lost all three of its matches at the Golden Flashes Classic this past weekend, only managing to win a single set against the host, Kent State University.