UTA volleyball sweeps Little Rock in final home match of the regular season

Senior outside hitter Kylie Jedlicka spikes the ball during a match Nov. 10 against the University of Arkansas at Little Rock at College Park Center. Jedlicka recorded nine kills in the Mavericks final regular season win at home. 

The volleyball team (16-11, 8-7) closed out its regular season home slate with a 3-0 sweep over the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Sunday at College Park Center.

The win secured UTA’s place in the Sun Belt Volleyball Championship tournament, with final seeding to be determined. UTA has one match left to play while other schools will play two matches in the following week.

The conference tournament is made up of the top-two teams of the East and West Division, with the next best four teams completing an eight-team field, regardless of division. The Mavericks’ 8-7 record is currently third in the West Division and mathematically puts them in the top eight teams.

Head coach J.T. Wenger said his team is trying to shake off its tendency to start slow ahead of its final conference match against Texas State University.

“They’re probably the most physical team in the league, so I think we need to see that in our gym a little bit,” Wenger said. “We’ll be prepared for the speed and the physicality.”

The Mavericks outperformed the Trojans in all key areas, hitting 0.301% and tallying nearly double the kills with 46. Wenger said they used the good volleyball played in the five-set loss to Arkansas State University on Friday and turned the page to get the win against Little Rock.

UTA started the first set down 5-2 to Little Rock with early errors. An 11-2 run, coupled with six kills from senior middle blocker Madison Hill, helped get the Mavericks back on track. UTA would ultimately win the set 25-14.

In the second set, Little Rock went ahead 4-2 and battled with UTA, but six kills from senior outside hitter Kylie Jedlicka helped the Mavericks overcome the pushback to pick up a 25-17 set win.

The Trojans made a final push against the Mavericks, going up 8-5. UTA responded with an 8-2 run with balanced offensive output to vanquish the Little Rock threat and complete the sweep with a 25-16 set win.

UTA’s final conference match will see them visit the Texas State Bobcats at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Strahan Arena in San Marcos to finalize seeding for the conference tournament.