UTA volleyball opens 2019 Maverick Classic with sweep of Incarnate Word

The UTA Mavericks get ready for the game against the University of the Incarnate Word Cardinals on Sep. 6 at College Park Center. This was the team's first game in the 2019 Maverick Classic.

The volleyball team (3-1) opened the 2019 Maverick Classic with a sweep of the University of the Incarnate Word on Friday at College Park Center.

Head coach J.T. Wenger praised two outside hitters, senior Kylie Jedlicka and freshman Meredith Fisher, for their performance in the home opener.

Wenger said despite being targeted by Incarnate Word , Jedlicka passed and hit well, ending the night with a match-leading 11 kills and two service aces. He described Fisher’s showing as a “monster match.” The freshman notched 10 kills for the first time this season.

UTA opened the first set on a 7-0 scoring run to bring the score to 8-4. The Mavericks only allowed a further seven points as they stormed to take the first set.

Sophomore outside hitter Brooke Townsend tallied five kills in the first set; it was her kill that capped off a 5-1 run to take the period.

The second set was a tug-of-war. The Mavericks opened the set 4-1, but the Cardinals battled throughout, keeping the score within two. Incarnate Word went on a 5-0 run to take a four-point before UTA tied it at 19-all.

Jedlicka put in a workmanlike effort during the period, bolting out of bounds on multiple occasions to keep rallies alive. She set up the set-point with a service ace while Fisher killed off the second set for UTA 25-23.

“It just comes down to who wants it more, and we did,” Jedlicka said

In the third set, Fisher snagged three early kills while Jedlicka continued her grind, saving an out-of-bounds ball before going on to block a Cardinal kill for the point. Sophomore setter Kylee Kapp recorded the match-winning kill to secure the sweep.

Fisher said in a challenging second and third set, looking to teammates is encouraging for her as she tries to find her footing as a freshman.

“In times of crisis, it’s really easy to just look to your teammates because you know they’re going to help you,” she said.

The Mavericks continue tournament play Saturday with a doubleheader, facing Southern University at 1:30 p.m. before turning around to face the University of North Carolina at Greensboro at 6:30 p.m.