Photos: Bobcats sweep Mavericks at home

Junior libero Madelyn St. Germain digs for the ball during a match against Texas State on Oct. 8 at College Park Center. St. Germain recorded eight digs.

The volleyball team (10-7, 2-3) fell to Texas State University 3-0 on Tuesday at College Park Center.

Texas State asserted itself as the Sun Belt Conference West Division favorite with a road sweep over UTA, who dropped to a losing record in conference for the first time this season.

Head coach J.T. Wenger said the team didn’t hit enough at the shots that were available. He said his players still need to learn about hitting the available shots instead of their favorite shots.

“I think our care factor was there tonight,” he said. “It’s tough when you’re down in the hole quickly, but we battled back when we could.”

There was one and a half competitive sets from UTA, Wenger said, which is challenging, but the team needs to turn the page quickly during conference play.

Texas State took a 10-4 lead early in the first set, with tipped outside shots and strong inside kills haunting the UTA defense. The Bobcats hit 0.324 in the period and took the set 25-14.

The second set was a closer affair, with UTA keeping within three points early on as Texas State led 14-11. Attack errors by the Mavericks and quick kills along the net extended the Bobcats' lead to 21-14.

UTA then went on a 7-2 run to trail by two points at 23-21, but a kill by Cheyenne Huskey, Texas State senior outside hitter, at set point ended UTA’s hopes of a comeback. Huskey punished UTA’s defense all night, earning a match-high 12 kills.

UTA started slow in the third set, committing six attack errors to allow the Bobcats to take a 12-0 lead. Wenger used both his timeouts in this span, and the Mavericks responded by outscoring the Bobcats 8-3 to try and get something out of the match.

From there, Texas State took control again and ended the match on an 11-3 run to take the set 25-10 and complete the sweep.

UTA will continue its five-match homestand with a match against Georgia Southern University at 6:30 p.m. Friday at College Park Center.