UTA track and field to compete in 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships

Senior jumper Alexus Henry jumps over hurdles May 12, 2017, during the women's 100-meter hurdles race. Henry is one of the two athletes representing UTA individually at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships.

Two individuals and two relay teams will compete at the 2019 NCAA Outdoor Track & Field Championships starting on Wednesday in Austin.

Senior jumper Alexus Henry returns as the defending women’s high jump champion while senior sprinter Erik Martinsson qualified individually in the men’s 800-meter run.

The 4x100 and 4x400 men’s relay teams both qualified for the championships for the first time in the same season during head coach John Sauerhage’s era. UTA is the only school from Texas to partake in both events.

The 4x400 consists of all seniors: D’Undre Mitchell, David Seastrunk, Brenden Wallace and Martinsson. Mitchell also makes up part of the 4x100 team, along with seniors Deontre Haynes and Isaiah McBride and freshman Anthony Aldridge.

The two relay teams and Martinsson as an individual will compete in the semifinals for their respective events starting at 4 p.m. Wednesday. Henry will compete in the final stage of the high jump at 5 p.m. on Saturday.

Julio Vega is a sports reporter for The Shorthorn.