The indoor track and field teams returned to College Station over the weekend to compete in the Charlie Thomas Invitational at Texas A&M University.

It was the second time UTA has visited Texas A&M’s Gilliam Indoor Track Stadium this season. The Mavericks competed in the Ted Nelson Invitational in January, where the men’s team finished third and the women’s team finished eighth.

The men finished third this time around as well, tying with UT-San Antonio at 57 points.

The Mavericks saw podium-worthy showings from their 3000-meter and heptathlon participants.

Junior distance runner Justin Domangue won the men’s 3000-meter with a time of 8 minutes, 23 seconds. Junior Cole Klashinsky came in third, finishing seven seconds later, and sophomore Eliseo Rodriguez placed sixth.

Lucas Van Klaveren also put forth a strong performance in the heptathlon. The freshman from the Netherlands finished second overall, including first-place finishes in the shot put and the 1000-meter events.

Senior hurdler Garrett Moore and freshman hurdler Taylor Hardman placed fourth and fifth in the heptathlon, respectively.

The men’s team received 36 of their 57 total points from their heptathlon and 3000-meter performances.

Other notable performances from UTA came from senior sprinter Deontre Haynes, who placed third in the 60-meter dash with a time of 6.78 seconds, and sophomore distance runner Connor Butterfield, who placed third in the mile run with a time of 4:11.

On the women’s side, the Mavericks finished ninth with 23 points overall.

UTA received a stellar performance from sophomore distance runner Madeleine Rowe, who continued the Mavericks’ success in the women’s 3000-meter event and finished in first place. In a thrilling race, the Arlington native was able to edge out Stephen F. Austin’s Kelsey Ramirez by less than half a second.

Rowe’s time of 9:53:88 in the 3000-meter is her best of the season.

Points were also registered by senior jumper Alexus Henry, who continued her strong season and placed third for the Mavericks in the high jump. Sophomore jumper Chante Mathews also tacked on a sixth place finish in the triple jump.

The meet was largely dominated by the University of Houston and Texas A&M squads. Houston won the men’s side with 126.5 points; Texas A&M finished first on the women’s side with 129 points and second on the men’s side with 118.5.

UTA will head to Lubbock next weekend for the Texas Tech Shootout on Feb. 8 and 9.

@coylio33