The UTA men’s and women’s tennis teams defended home court over the weekend at the UTA Tennis Center.

The women (2-1) defeated UT-Rio Grande Valley 4-1 Friday to open their 2018 dual campaign.

Freshman Lucia Natal completed a sweep of her matches.

First, Natal teamed up with freshman Almudena Boza to win their doubles match 6-4. Natal then defeated junior Doris Aleksovska 6-1, 6-1.

UTA improved to 9-2 all-time over UTRGV.

Head coach Diego Benitez said he was impressed by this team’s performance.

“We faced a very good UTRGV, very tough with a deep lineup,” Benitez said. “We had a lot of players dealing with pressure of it being their first match.”

Benitez said he was especially impressed with sophomore Anna Wichert’s play.

“Anna had a slow start,” Benitez said. “Then she picked it up at the end to clinch it for us.”

Following their home opener, the women traveled to Kansas where they defeated the University of Missouri-Kansas City 4-2 on Saturday, then fell to Wichita State University 0-4 on Sunday.

The men’s team (2-1) completed a doubleheader sweep on Saturday.

In the morning session, the Mavericks defeated Cameron University 4-0.

Junior Abhishek Bostola teamed with junior Guanarteme Nuez to win their doubles match 6-1.

Bostola then defeated sophomore Stefan Svicevic 6-1, 6-1 in a singles match.

The afternoon session saw the men’s team defeat Seminole State 6-1.

The Mavs were again led by Bostola as he and Nuez won their doubles match 6-1.

Bostola then defeated sophomore Aleksandr Pokusaev 6-1, 3-6, 11-9 to cap off the day.

The men's and women’s teams will resume play against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Wednesday at the UTA Tennis Center. The women will begin their match at 11 a.m, followed by the men’s match at 2 p.m. 

@scoopsestrada

Tags