After a comeback win in extra innings Friday, the softball team (21-22, 9-9) finished off a three-game series sweep of the University of Louisiana Monroe on Sunday at Allan Saxe Field.

Head coach Peejay Brun credited the dugout for staying loud throughout the series.

“In this entire series, the dugout made all the difference,” Brun said. “Whether we were up or down, people in the dugout just never changed the energy that they were bringing.”

Junior infielder Melanie Mendoza echoed Brun's praise. The Mavericks had two innings in the series that resulted in at least six runs.

“I feel like we all just get hyped in the dugout when the first person gets on base,” Mendoza said. “Everyone else just feeds off of that, and everyone keeps the rally going.”

Game No. 1: UTA 3, University of Louisiana Monroe 2

Game one was settled in extra innings as a leadoff home run by Mendoza secured the game for UTA in the 10th.

Freshman pitcher Allie Gardiner recorded her first start in game one and brought her team-leading 2.69 ERA to the mound against Louisiana-Monroe freshman Adrianna Chavarria.

Gardiner pitched 5.1 innings and allowed two runs and six hits before the bullpen held the Warhawks to three hits the rest of the way.

Sophomore Randi Phillips ultimately came away with the win for UTA after pitching three relief innings, bringing her season record to 10-12 at the time.

The scoring began in the second after an RBI double from junior infielder Jayden Mount gave Louisiana-Monroe a 1-0 lead.

UTA responded in the fourth after senior outfielder Laura Curry hit a leadoff bunt single and stole second base to go into the half inning.

Two sacrifice outs later, Curry made it home, tying the score at 1-1.

In the fifth, a leadoff home run swung Louisiana-Monroe back ahead 2-1, but UTA responded in the sixth.

An RBI double by junior outfielder Laura Curry scored the tying run at 2-2.

Curry went 4-5 at the plate in game one, helping UTA outhit the Warhawks 11-9.

The winning home run by Mendoza was UTA’s first longball in 10 games and Mendoza’s first of the season.

“It was [a] 3-2 count, I was just trying to get a good pitch and just drive something,” she said.

Game No. 2: UTA 11, University of Louisiana Monroe 7

Game two saw the Mavericks come from behind for the third time in the series.

In the first, a two-run home run by junior infielder Aileen Garcia gave UTA the lead.

In the top of the second, Phillips went in to relieve junior starting pitcher Jojo Valencia after she surrendered three consecutive hits, the last of which was a three-run home run.

Louisiana-Monroe got another three-run homerun off the bat of senior catcher Brie Wrobel in the third to make the score 6-2.

The Mavericks made it 10-6 after getting a run back in the third before exploding for seven runs in the fourth thanks to five hits and two Warhawk errors.

Another leadoff home run by Mount in the top of the fifth made it 10-7, and Gardiner relieved Phillips after the pitch.

The Mavericks added a final insurance run in the fifth, again off the bat of Curry.

Curry, who went 3-4 in the second game with three RBIs, was one of four Mavericks with at least two hits in the game.

Phillips got the win, improving to 11-12, while Gardiner recorded her second save of the season.

The Mavericks will have a quick turnaround as they host UT-Austin at 5 p.m. Tuesday at Allan Saxe Field.

@MartinParedesJr