The softball team (17-15, 6-3) split its doubleheader against the 15th-ranked University of Arkansas on Tuesday at Allan Saxe Field.

Game No. 1: University of Arkansas 4, UTA 1

The Razorbacks bested UTA in a pitching duel that saw both teams strike out a combined 13 times.

Junior pitcher Autumn Storms got the win, improving to 11-3, and recorded five strikeouts in her six innings of work.

Arkansas senior infielder Katie Warrick’s first inning RBI double gave the Razorbacks an early 1-0 lead.

UTA tied the game off the bat of junior infielder Aileen Garcia’s third home run of the season. Garcia’s solo shot made it 1-1 after two innings.

Into the fifth, Warrick sent a two-run bomb to left center, giving Arkansas a 3-1 lead.

With the bases loaded in the seventh, Phillips hit her second consecutive batter to send a run across the plate and extend the Razorbacks lead to 4-1.

Sophomore pitcher Mary Haff sealed the win for Arkansas with a pair of back-to back strikeouts in the seventh, earning her third save of the season.

Senior outfielder Krista Rude had three of UTA's five hits in game one, going 3-3 at the plate and Garcia had the Mavericks' two other hits.

Game No. 2: UTA 7, University of Arkansas 4 

UTA freshman pitcher Laura Henriksen got the start and matched up against Arkansas' Haff in the second game of Tuesday's doubleheader.

Henriksen came away with the win, improving to 3-1, and kept Arkansas scoreless through four innings before allowing a game-tying home run in the top of the fifth.

Junior pitcher Jojo Valencia relieved Henriksen and allowed one run to score, making the game 4-3.

In the sixth, junior Autumn Storms came in to pitch with the bases loaded and surrendered singles up the middle to two consecutive batters giving UTA a 7-3 lead.

A solo home run in the seventh made the score 7-4 before a warning track catch by senior outfielder Laura Curry ended the game.

Head coach Peejay Brun credited Henriksen for her performance during her second start of the season.

"As a freshman that's a little scary when it's against the No. 15 team in the nation but I thought she did a great job staying very poised on the mound and being strong for us,” Brun said.

Henriksen said she found out she was starting game two before the first game. Watching Phillips in game one helped her prepare mentally.

Even after mentally preparing, the freshman said she was slightly nervous.

“I get nervous before every game but that's just because I love the game so much and I just want to do well,” Henriksen said.

The Mavericks will get back on the road for a three-game series against Troy University beginning at 5 p.m. Friday at Troy Softball Complex.

@MartinParedesJr