The softball team (15-4, 5-3) split its double header against Georgia Southern University on Friday at Allan Saxe Field.

Game No. 1: UTA 7, Georgia Southern University 1

A complete game from sophomore pitcher Randi Phillips lifted the Mavericks to a dominant game one victory.

The game was Phillips’ fifth complete game of the season, and she was one out away from a shutout before surrendering her 12th home run of the season with two outs in the seventh.

Phillips improved to 8-7 in the win, while walking three batters and striking out two.

UTA jumped ahead early, scoring in the first after a throwing error, before adding two more in the fourth.

Leading 3-1, the Mavericks tallied on four insurance runs in the sixth inning to seal the win.

Laura Curry went 4-4 at the plate with four singles, one run and an RBI.

Game No. 2: Georgia Southern University 10, UTA 3

Despite a competitive second inning that saw each team score a combined seven runs, Georgia Southern’s defense held the Mavericks at bay the rest of the game, ultimately leading them to victory.

The Eagles scored in four of the seven innings in game two, registering 15 hits, including three home runs and two doubles.

“When another team is hitting like that, there is only so much that you can do,” Brun said. “After the first game they could have bowed down, but they turned around and played great.”

Georgia Southern’s Rylee Waldrep pitched a complete game, improving to 4-6 on the season.

The sophomore held the Mavericks to five hits in the win, which was a change from the first game where the Eagles allowed 10 hits.

The loss went to pitcher Jojo Valencia who now falls to 3-3 on the season.

Heading in to the second, the junior recorded two quick outs but was unable to retire the next seven batters faced before being relieved after 1.2 innings and four earned runs.

The Mavericks' first run came from a solo home run by junior infielder Aileen Garcia in the second. UTA added two more runs before the tying run was thrown out at the plate by Georgia Southern’s Mekhia Freeman to end the inning.

Curry credited the loss to the team straying from their game plan.

“We just didn't take advantage of our speed,” Curry said. “We have one of the fastest teams in the Sun Belt, so we might as well take advantage of that.”

UTA will host its series finale against Georgia Southern at noon Sunday at Allan Saxe Field.

@MartinParedesJr