The UTA softball team (17-6, 7-4) broke out five runs in the fifth inning to complete a three-game sweep over Appalachian State University with a 7-3 victory Saturday at Allan Saxe Field.

Down 3-2 in the bottom of the fifth, sophomore infielder Aileen Garcia drew a lead-off walk, then junior outfielder Kayci Moore was brought in to pinch run for Garcia.

Sophomore catcher Reagan Wright reached on a fielder’s choice and Moore advanced to second on a fielding error. Freshman infielder Kjirstyn Murphy hit a grounder to third base, and the third baseman sailed the ball over the first baseman’s head, allowing Moore to knot the game at three all.

After two quick outs, senior catcher Bryanna Datko reached on a walk.

Senior infielder Sandra Mendoza singled up the middle to score Wright, giving the Mavericks a 4-3 lead.

Junior outfielder Krista Rude reached base on another error by the third baseman and Murphy scored, increasing the lead to 5-3.

Sophomore infielder Whitney Walton scorched a hit down the left field line, scoring Mendoza and junior outfielder Cy’Andria Newton who was brought in to pinch run for Datko as the Mavericks padded their lead to 7-3.

Freshman pitcher Randi Phillips got away with the win as she came in to relieve sophomore JoJo Valencia in the third inning. Phillips pitched 4.1 innings and allowed two runs on three hits while striking out one batter.

Valencia lasted 2.2 innings and allowed one run on three hits.

The softball team will hit the road for an eight-game road trip. The first game of the road trip will be at 3 p.m. Tuesday versus Houston Baptist University at Husky Field in Houston, Texas.

Head coach Peejay Brun is confident that her squad is prepared for the road trip.

“The one big thing about them is they enjoy being around each other,” Brun said. “So, I don’t think the missing home is as much of a problem. Really, it’s just taking care of our bodies. It’s going to be a lot of bus riding, so that alone is gonna really be a little wear and tear on the mind and body."

@scoopsestrada