UTA softball releases 2020 schedule

Junior first baseman Aileen Garcia hits the ball during the game against Texas State University on May 4 at Allan Saxe Field. UTA won 8-7. Garcia went 1-3 at the plate and had two RBI's.

The softball team released its 2020 schedule on Wednesday, which includes games against three opponents who competed in the 2019 NCAA Women’s College World Series.

The Mavericks start their season Feb. 9 at the Aggie Classic at Texas A&M University, facing the hosts three times and Abilene Christian University twice in the three-day tournament.

UTA will then host two tournaments on the bounce: the Maverick Classic from Feb. 14 to 16 and the Boerner Invitational from Feb. 21 to 22.

The Mavericks close out non-conference play with the Easton Crimson Classic at the University of Alabama, facing the Alabama Crimson Tide and the University of Arizona. Both competed in the 2019 Women’s College World Series.

Sun Belt Conference play will begin with a home series against Troy University starting March 6. In between conference opponents, the Mavericks will face top-level opponents — they visit UT-Austin on March 25, then host the University of Oklahoma on April 22 at Allan Saxe Field. Okalhoma fell in the finals of the College World Series to the University of California, Los Angeles.

The Mavericks round out conference play with a road series at Texas State University starting April 30, with the 2020 Sun Belt Conference Softball Championship starting May 6 in Atlanta.