The softball team (6-5) opened its home slate against Prairie View A&M University with a 2-1 win Friday at Allan Saxe Field.

Dreary weather created schedule changes for the Maverick Invitational, but didn’t damper the spirits of the Mavericks.

Head coach Peejay Brun said the Panthers are a feisty team and had the Mavericks on their toes. She said her team needs to improve its hitting earlier in the game as Prairie View A&M outhit UTA 5-3.   

“We need to make adjustments a lot quicker,” Brun said. “Obviously, I’m not going to be happy with three hits, so the big thing is that’s what we talked to the team about.”

The Panthers opened the scoring with a solo home run deep into left field in the top of the second. Junior infielder Whitney Walton responded with a two-run home run in the bottom of the third to put the Mavericks on top. Senior outfielder Kayci Moore scored from third base on the play.  

Sophomore pitcher Randi Phillips pitched all seven innings, surrendering one run off hit while walking one and striking out three.  

Walton led the Mavericks at the plate, going 1-2 with two RBI’s.  

The Maverick Invitational continues Saturday with a doubleheader for UTA. The Mavericks will face Prairie View A&M at 3 p.m. and Wichita State University at 5:30 p.m. at Allan Saxe Field.