The softball team (18-18, 6-6) defeated No. 13 Oklahoma State University 2-1 on Wednesday at Allan Saxe Field.

Head coach Peejay Brun said the team's mindset at the plate was key in the upset win.

“The entire game, the players stayed focused,” she said. “I think that’s what really helped us. Not getting caught up in the hype of the game.”

The contest featured a starting pitching duel between junior JoJo Valencia and Oklahoma State senior Samantha Show.

Show also batted second in the Cowgirls' batting order.

After three innings, both teams had only mustered three hits between them before Show took the stage in the top of the fourth. 

Show blasted a leadoff home run to left field and made the score 1-0. Valencia, who pitched six innings in a weekend matchup against Troy University, was relieved in the inning by freshman Laura Henriksen.

Henriksen pitched the rest of the game and kept Oklahoma State off the board in her 3.2 innings of work.

In the bottom of the fourth, with runners at the corners, UTA tied the game 1-1 thanks to a wild pitch.

UTA took a 2-1 lead in the sixth after junior infielder Avery Grimes slapped a single to center, scoring sophomore infielder KJ Murphy.

Grimes led the way for the Mavericks at the plate, going 2-3 and recording the game-winning RBI.

Grimes, who started her seventh game of the season, said she wanted to make the most of her opportunities at the plate.

“I just knew that I was going to get a strike,” she said. “We’re playing ranked opponents, they got good pitchers. I'm just waiting for a good pitch and trying to drive it in a hole somewhere.”

Next up, the Mavericks will travel to Louisiana to face off against the University of Louisiana at Lafayette at 6 p.m. Friday at Yvette Girouard Field at Lamson Park.

@MartinParedesJr