The softball team (14-13, 4-2) fell to Houston Baptist University 6-5 on Wednesday at Allan Saxe Field.

Head coach Peejay Brun said her team is going to have to fight harder at the plate to achieve success in the young season.

“I know they want to; it's a matter of figuring out a way how to do it," Brun said. “Our team’s just going to have to keep hitting the ball until everything starts falling our way again.”

After junior pitcher Jojo Valencia hit Houston Baptist freshman catcher Caitlyn Brockway, senior utility player Brooke Bushman hit a two-run home run to start the scoring in the top of the first inning.

The Mavericks got one back in the bottom of the first inning when junior catcher Reagan Wright singled up the middle with runners on first and second base.

In the second, with runners in scoring position, a throwing error by the Huskies led to junior infielder Aileen Garcia scoring and tying the game. A single by senior outfielder Laura Curry then gave UTA a 3-2 lead.

The Huskies got five of their nine hits in the fifth inning. Houston Baptist scored four runs in the inning, all with two outs. The winning run came after junior infielder Amber Lotz hit a ball that junior infielder Whitney Walton could not keep in her glove.

The last runs for UTA came in the bottom of the fifth after Court hit a home run to left center, scoring two to bring the score to 6-5.

The Mavericks will now host Georgia Southern University for a three-game weekend series starting at 5 p.m. Friday at Allan Saxe Field.

@MartinParedesJr