The softball team (12-10, 2-0) notched its second consecutive win against the University of South Alabama 7-2 on Saturday at Allan Saxe Field.

The Jaguars' pitching was erratic on the afternoon as starting freshman pitcher Samantha Yarbrough was pulled just two outs into the first inning.

Yarbrough walked three Maverick batters and left the bases loaded for Jamie Finnical. The sophomore reliever surrendered two runs, bringing the score to 4-1 in favor of UTA.

Head coach Peejay Brun praised her team for taking advantage of all the free base runners South Alabama gave up.

“It is hard to stay up and get things going when the other team's pitchers are throwing a lot of balls,” Brun said. “But they put the hits together when we needed to, and we were able to score some runs and stay ahead the whole game.”

Reigning Sun Belt player of the week, junior infielder Whitney Walton, continued her stellar form in the series. Through two games, Walton has gone 4-7 at the plate with four runs, two RBIs and a home run.

Walton said she's been feeling pretty confident at the plate lately.

“I'm just trying to keep it simple in my head and really just do a job and give my teammates a reason to get excited in the dugout,” Walton said.

Brun spoke highly of freshman pitcher Allie Gardiner (2-3), who has pitched 7.1 innings in the past two days, allowing just one earned run.

“One of the things that we worked on in the fall was Allie coming in as a reliever,” Brun said. “She's been doing a great job coming in and starting to shut teams down for us.”

The Mavericks look to sweep the Jaguars in the final matchup of their three-game series at noon Sunday at Allan Saxe Field.

@martinparedesjr