The softball team (16-14, 6-3) defeated Georgia Southern University 4-2 to clinch the three-game series Sunday at Allan Saxe Field.

Sophomore Randi Phillips got the win, pitching six shutout innings, striking out four and improving to 9-7 on the season.

UTA got the scoring started in the bottom of the first after junior infielder Whitney Walton was walked with the bases loaded.

The Mavericks doubled their lead in the third after a two-out single from junior catcher Reagan Wright brought senior outfielder Krista Rude home.

Wright led UTA’s bats throughout the game with two hits, two RBIs, a walk and a run scored.

A two-run home run by sophomore infielder KJ Murphy gave UTA some much needed insurance runs in the sixth, doubling the Mavericks lead to 4-0.

The Eagles scored two runs in the seventh, but Murphy’s two RBIs ultimately made the difference in the game.

Head coach Peejay Brun said both teams displayed solid pitching performances throughout Sunday's matchup.

“For a while there, it was a great pitching battle,” Brun said. “I’m just happy that we had the winning pitcher on our end. Randi kept everything together on the mound, and that’s what we’ve been asking of her.”

Phillips said she has to lock in mentally during the later innings if she wants to get her first complete-game shutout of the season.

“Whenever you get to the seventh inning, the hitters have seen you four, sometimes five times,” she said. “You just have to keep reminding yourself to hit your spots. They’re not the same hitters they were the first at bat that they had.”

Next up, the Mavericks will host the University of Arkansas at 11:30 a.m. Tuesday at Allan Saxe Field.

@MartinParedesJr