A late-game surge helped the softball team (8-6) overcome Abilene Christian University 2-1 on Sunday at Allan Saxe Field to close out the 2019 Maverick Invitational.

Head coach Peejay Brun said opponents have beaten UTA with comeback victories in the early stage of the season. She said she’s glad her side was finally able to achieve one of its own.

“We need to have that feeling of being able to come from behind,” she said. “I think this going to help our confidence.”

A throwing error in the bottom of the second saw UTA surrender the first run of the game.

Junior pitcher JoJo Valencia (3-0) was swapped from the circle for sophomore pitcher Randi Phillips (5-3). Valencia gave up an earned run and a walk in her two innings of play.

Senior outfielder Laura Curry sparked UTA’s response with a leadoff triple to center field in the top of the fourth. Junior infielder Aileen Garcia’s sacrifice bunt sent Curry through to tie the game at 1-1.

The next two innings became a stalemate for both teams as neither could find a way past second base.

In the top of the seventh, UTA found an edge after putting two runners in scoring position. Junior infielder Brittany Wyllie hit a sacrifice fly as senior outfielder Kayci Moore avoided the tag at home plate to score.

A foul out between two grounded outs in the bottom seventh was enough for the Mavericks to squeeze out a win against the Wildcats.

Brun said going 3-1 in the 2019 Maverick Invitational gives the team momentum for its upcoming midweek and weekend games.

Up next, the Mavericks host the University of North Texas at 6 p.m. Wednesday at Allan Saxe Field before traveling to Lubbock for the Texas Tech Invitational over the weekend.