UTA men's tennis suffers season-opening defeat to Harvard University

Junior Mauricio Del Rio returns the ball during a match against Southern Methodist University on Feb. 23 at the UTA Tennis Center.

The men’s tennis team (0-1) opened up its spring campaign with a 6-1 loss to Harvard University on Sunday at the SMU Tennis Complex.

The Mavericks started off slowly in the doubles competition as Harvard secured the doubles point by defeating sophomore Sansidh Kommaraju and freshman Eduard Simo 6-0, and junior Guanarteme Nuez and junior Mauricio Del Rio 6-3.

In singles play, the Mavericks dropped five straight matches, including a No. 2 singles match by sophomore Enrique Pardo 6-4, 6-3 to Harvard’s Andy Zhou, the 99th ranked singles player in the final Intercollegiate Tennis Association fall 2017 poll.

Nuez was responsible UTA’s lone point of the match as he defeated senior Jean Thirouin 7-6, 6-3.

“In the first set, I was not going for the big balls, the winners, and just putting the balls in [play],” Nuez said. “In the second set, I was going more for the big balls, and that’s why I won the second set easier.”

The Mavericks will return to action at 11 a.m. Feb. 3 against Cameron University for its home-opener at the UTA Tennis Center.

@scoopsestrada