UTA men's golf ties for fourth, concludes Sun Belt Championship run

Sophomore Paul Gonzalez walks with his bag during the Saint Mary's Invitational on Nov. 8, 2018. The team tied for fourth place at the Sun Belt Conference Men’s Golf Championship.

The men’s golf team tied for fourth place at the Sun Belt Conference Men’s Golf Championship but fell to the University of Louisiana Monroe in a playoff that decided who advanced to a four-team match play.

The Mavericks scored 15-under 837 after three rounds with a 10-under 274 in the third round, a UTA record at Sun Belt and 4th-best round in program history. In the playoff, the Warhawks bested the Mavericks by two strokes to advance.

Sophomore Paul Gonzalez led the Mavericks as he tied for fifth at 8-under par 205 in three rounds. Senior Tanner Gore tied for seventh at 7-under. Both recorded a 5-under 66 third round to help UTA clinch a top four spot and force a playoff against Louisiana Monroe.

Freshman Caleb Hicks tied for 22nd and hit 2-under. Freshman Kyle Cox tied for 49th at 7-over. Senior Camilo Avila tied for 51st at 9-over to round out the scoring for the Mavericks.