UTA men’s basketball team unveils 2019-20 conference schedule

Junior guard Brian Warren drives past his opponent during the 2019 Sun Belt Conference Men’s Basketball Championship final against Georgia State University on March 17 at Lakefront Arena in New Orleans, Louisiana. The men's basketball team released its conference schedule for the upcoming season.

The men’s basketball team received its conference schedule for the 2019-20 regular season on Tuesday.

December will play a key role in the Mavericks’ season as they open their Sun Belt Conference slate of games on the road.

UTA will kick off its conference season Dec. 19 against Georgia State University at GSU Sports Arena in Atlanta. The Mavericks and Panthers will face off for the first time since the 2019 Sun Belt Men’s Basketball Championship final, which Georgia State won by a score of 73-64.

The Mavericks will stay in Georgia to face Georgia Southern University on Dec. 21 at Hanner Fieldhouse in Statesboro, Georgia. UTA will also travel to Arkansas to play Arkansas State University and the University of Arkansas at Little Rock on Jan. 2 and 4, respectively.

The Mavericks will return to College Park Center from Jan. 6 to 11 to face off against the University of South Alabama, Appalachian State University and Coastal Carolina University.

As the month of January winds down, Louisiana will be a point of emphasis for UTA. The Mavericks will travel to Lafayette, Louisiana, and Monroe, Louisiana, to play the University of Louisiana at Lafayette and the University of Louisiana at Monroe on Jan. 16 and 18, respectively. Both teams will travel to Arlington on Jan. 30 and Feb. 1, respectively, to take on the Mavericks at College Park Center.

An in-state rivalry will also return when the Mavericks travel to San Marcos to face Texas State University on Jan. 25.

UTA will travel to play Appalachian State University and Coastal Carolina University on Feb. 6 and 8, respectively, before returning to College Park Center for a five-game home stand.

The Mavericks will host five conference games from Feb. 13 to 29 as the regular season winds down. Arkansas State University, the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, Georgia State University, Georgia Southern University and Texas State University will be on UTA’s home schedule.

Finally, UTA will close its regular season with a trip to Trojan Arena in Troy, Alabama, to face Troy University on March 3. This will be the first time former head coach and UTA alumnus Scott Cross will go up against the Mavericks since his firing from the university in March 2018.

UTA will then play in the 2020 Sun Belt Men’s Basketball Championship in hopes of securing its first NCAA tournament berth since 2008.