UTA Gymnastics Club competes in first meet

Biochemistry junior Lyndsay Lewellen hones her skills on the parallel bars Nov. 6, 2017, at ASI Gymnastics.

The UTA Gymnastics Club beamed in its first-ever meet at the Texas A&M Invitational on Saturday in College Station.

Lydia Williford, freshman and club president, said many colleges complimented the team and were amazed by how much the club has grown.

“It’s crazy,” Williford said. “I don’t think anyone was expecting it.”

As a team, the women’s level 9’s, featuring freshman Melanie Schattle and junior Lyndsay Lewellen, placed third with a 33.63, behind UT-Austin and Texas A&M University. Individually, Lewellen placed fourth on the uneven bars with an 8.7 and Schattle tied for fifth on the floor exercise with an 8.775.

The women’s level 8’s, featuring Williford, freshmen Anna Turner and Tiffany Belton, and junior Jacie Acker, placed fourth as a team with an 86.8. Individually, Turner tied for seventh on the vault with an 8.7 and Acker placed eighth on the floor exercise with a 9.25.

On the men’s side, freshman Donovan Yancy placed fourth on the still rings with an 11.8 and junior Steven Ramirez placed second on the parallel bars with a 12.7.

The gymnastics club will compete again on Feb. 10 at UT-Dallas.