A slow offensive night against Abilene Christian University put an end to the baseball team's (16-10, 4-2) four-game winning streak.

The Mavericks were no-hit through the first five innings of the game and managed only five hits total in a 4-2 loss on Wednesday night.

“Their pitcher did a good job, and we didn’t make any adjustments,” head coach Darin Thomas said. “As well as we played on Tuesday, we played that bad tonight.”

The Mavericks defeated an 18-6 Dallas Baptist University team on Tuesday via strong starting pitching and an offensive outburst that was noticeably absent on Wednesday.

Abilene Christian starter Drew Hanson pitched 5 ⅔ perfect innings before being lifted with two outs in the sixth. The senior exited the game to a standing ovation by the Abilene Christian fans in attendance.  

The Wildcats’ no hitter was broken up by an Aaron Funk triple in the sixth inning, but the Mavericks were unable to drive in the senior outfielder. Abilene Christian staunched potential UTA rallies in the eighth and ninth innings as well.

Freshman pitcher Riley Bost started his third game of the season and was scoreless through three innings, but a single-single-single-double combo by the Wildcats in the fourth put an end to Bost’s night and provided Abilene Christian with all the offense they would need.

UTA got shutout relief appearances from five of their pitchers out of the bullpen, but the effort was fruitless on a night where ultimately the Mavericks couldn’t get anything going with the bats.

Thomas said that it was the third home game in a row that the Mavericks have played poorly. UTA holds a 12-4 record on the road but a 4-5 record at home.

“We just did not play with energy,” he said. “You gotta play with a chip on your shoulder. We do on the road; we don’t at home. Hopefully we learn from it, and we have time to correct it.”

The Mavericks have an opportunity to bounce back this weekend when the University of South Alabama comes to Arlington for a three-game series. UTA currently holds a 4-2 conference record and is tied for second in the Sun Belt’s west division.  

UTA and South Alabama's series opens at 6:30 p.m. Friday at Clay Gould Ballpark.

@coylio33